VOICE - General Meeting for 2004-02-21

12:02:21 <WalterOS2> This VOICE meeting is now in session.
<WalterOS2> A. Treasurer's Report (Yes!!)
<WalterOS2> Gord, can you tell us what you know?
<Gord> I have agreed to be the acting treasurer until an election.
<Gord> I have been to the CIBC nearby and talked with an account rep.
<Gord> Walter, have you faxed the letter on letterhead to her?
<Gord> She wants an authorizing letter to open an account for a group.
<WalterOS2> No. (Hang his head in shame.)
<WalterOS2> :-(
<eCSNL> Hmm
<eCSNL> My connection might drop more this evening...
<WalterOS2> It's at the top of my to-do list.
<eCSNL> Something is wrong with my ADSL line or router
<WalterOS2> :-(
<Gord> OK. Please let me know when that is done and I'll go back and open the account.
<WalterOS2> Will do.
<Gord> What else can I tell you?
<WalterOS2> Just let people know where we stand.
<WalterOS2> I've got some stuff I can post if you like.
[ ]
* eCSNL would like to urge the chairman to push the meeting forward
<wdl> "concer" = "concern"
<eCSNL> SOrry to sound rude
[ ]
<eCSNL> But after 90 minutes we are still at point A)
[ ]
<WalterOS2> Roderick's right: We should try to move on.
[ ]
<WalterOS2> Let's move on.
<WalterOS2> The next piece of business we can deal with is the Speak up with Innotek.
<WalterOS2> Roderick, do you have something to say? :-)
* eCSNL has nowhere to run and hide....
* eCSNL opens up the good-execuse-book
<eCSNL> Damn
<eCSNL> Oke
<eCSNL> I have not had the time to look into this...
<eCSNL> SO a boring answer
<eCSNL> Sorry
<eCSNL> But I do have some questions...
<eCSNL> First of all
<eCSNL> In the past how far in advance where speakups annouched
<eCSNL> and was there one a month ?
<WalterOS2> Sometimes not very early at all. :-(
<eCSNL> Target is that on the 1st of march I can annouch a speakup
<WalterOS2> IMO, that's too long--people will forget.
<WalterOS2> Unless you send them a couple of reminders.
<eCSNL> and on the first saturday of 1st of April there will be speak up...
<eCSNL> Hmmm oke
<MADodel> It has been a long time sinnce the last Speakup. It is best to have about 3 weeks notice to start getting out announcements. More then that is too long. Shorter then that and people seem to miss hem.
<WalterOS2> Have you spoken to Innotek yet?
<eCSNL> Hmmm
<eCSNL> yes but not on this subject...
<WalterOS2> Roderick: There's the official answer. VBG
* eCSNL wants to go in politics and is getting better in walking around questions :-)
<WalterOS2> Mark's suggestion sounds good. But we should send a reminder or two--IMO.
<MADodel> Roderick: A professional weasel eh?
<WalterOS2> eCSNL for king!
<MADodel> WalterOS2: Yes, followup at one week intervals
<WalterOS2> Roderick: Next question?
<WalterOS2> Hi Aidan
<eCSNL> Well a speakup with Serenity Systems and
<eCSNL> Mensys can be arrangest quite fast :-)
<WalterOS2> Well, why don't you do that first, then?
<WalterOS2> I mean--you should probably do that first.
<eCSNL> We have plenty of news :-)
<eCSNL> Open Office
<eCSNL> Serenity Virtual
<WalterOS2> Personally, I'd love to get Serenity in.
<eCSNL> (OS/2 version in the pipeline)
<eCSNL> And the new version of eCS that is under development
<WalterOS2> I've heard. I'm just annoyed they didn't do OS/2 first. :-)
<WalterOS2> Roderick: Given the load you're carrying, when do you think you could arrange a speakup with either Mensys or Serenty?
<eCSNL> Hmmm the email to Bob is almost going out the door...
<WalterOS2> Great!
<WalterOS2> Do you have anything else to say about Speakups?
<eCSNL> I want to draw other people to here...
<eCSNL> I have a list I made about 4 weeks ago....
<eCSNL> Need to get back to that...
<WalterOS2> Sounds really good.
<WalterOS2> Please keep us up to date.
<eCSNL> First I need to finish the first phase of the mayor MMOS/2 refurbishment...
<WalterOS2> We've talked about that on the phone. It sounds really good.
<eCSNL> I have the first beta running here on my laptop...
<WalterOS2> Roderick has really deep pockets: he phones me about every second Saturday. <g>
<WalterOS2> Roderick lives in Holland, in case someone does know, and I live in Canada!
<WalterOS2> Roderick: That's good: how's it working?
<eCSNL> Well it looks like MMOS/2...
<eCSNL> But it has a new minstall written from scratch with much better logging
<eCSNL> It also has the classes from Chris Wolgemuth under the bonned
<eCSNL> The amount of troubles will be 0 since they will be integrated in the eCS installation...
<eCSNL> The great thing of these classes is that it shifts all code out of shared memory where the WPS runs...
<wdl> Ummm, testily... We're talking about "Speak up"????
<eCSNL> Sorry
* eCSNL his brain sometimes gets an overflow :-) To much info...
<eCSNL> Ahaa thanks that just reminded me, need to note that
<WalterOS2> Continuing to move on.
<WalterOS2> We've a couple of items of New Business:
<WalterOS2> Ken Kirchner has agreed to take on the Web Administrator job in addition to his SysAdmin and other duties.
<WalterOS2> We all have to be *VERY* nice to Ken. :-)
<WalterOS2> Ken, thanks again for taking on this responsibility.
<MADodel> eCSNL needs his brain rebooted
<WalterOS2> LOL
<eCSNL> No the sinlge input que just gets blocked once in while...
<eCSNL> Just needs some time to unblock :-)
<WalterOS2> We've already looked at the banking situation.
<WalterOS2> By-laws revision
<WalterOS2> Bill, can you give us a quick status report?
<wdl> I've examined the By-laws in detail.
<wdl> I've identified the major points needing revision
<wdl> I've drafted some provisional changes.
<wdl> I've gathered sample By-laws from a variety of groups similar to ours.
<wdl> I've noted in them bits that probably should be incorporated into ours.
<wdl> I've identified structural weaknesses in ours. These lead directly to what we're experiencing with the Treasurer.
<WalterOS2> No auditing provision; only one signatory.
<wdl> --- I expect the changes to be *evolutionary* - not revolutionary.
<wdl> I hope to trim the bulk, but re-wording large bits.
<WalterOS2> I can't imagine how having just one signatory on our bank account EVER got set up in the first place!
<wdl> Probably will have something for others to peruse within a week or maybe a bit more.
<wdl> ... Will that do for now? I could give more detail, but think it's premature.
<WalterOS2> Bill: I'm hoping to have a BOD meeting on either the 1st or 2nd Saturday in March?
<WalterOS2> I do want to get back to having BOD meetings, even they are a bit redundant.
<wdl> I'd prefer the 2nd, but could make the 1st if required.
<WalterOS2> OK, good.
<WalterOS2> I'll let everyone know, and ask for their/your opinions.
<wdl> Um. First Saturday is a VOICE meeting?
<wdl> Or is my calendar ker-flooey?
<WalterOS2> I'm thinking of trying to have the BOD meeting an hour or so before the VOICE meeting every first Sat of the month.
<WalterOS2> It would save having to mess up another day.
<wdl> But add to the length of phone tie-up...
<WalterOS2> TTW?
<wdl> At least partly, you bet! ;(
<WalterOS2> Anyone else have an opinion they want to share?
<wdl> Today I have a reprieve. She's out-of-town.
<WalterOS2> :-)
<WalterOS2> Install a LAN. That's what I did.
<WalterOS2> :-)
<WalterOS2> Moving right along
<WalterOS2> One final note.
<WalterOS2> VOICE1 has now been (several weeks ago, actually) moved to VOICE2 under Ken's loving care.
<WalterOS2> Ken: Is VOICE2 in your PA or NJ plant?
<KenKrchnr> NJ plant
<WalterOS2> That's what I thought: thanks.
<WalterOS2> And VOICE3, which we're developing the new WarpDoctor on is in Ken's office.
<WalterOS2> So you can see how much Ken has done for VOICE!
<KenKrchnr> I could kick it from where I sit right now!
<WalterOS2> LOL
<WalterOS2> Please don't, though.
<WalterOS2> Once again Ken, thanks a lot for all your time and work.
<WalterOS2> Final point: Moving of VOICE1
<KenKrchnr> No problem. Glad to help.
<WalterOS2> I wrote Vaughn about moving VOICE1 to his location, but haven't received a response yet.
<WalterOS2> VOICE1 is currently being used to backup VOICE2. I believe this occurs automatically every night.
<KenKrchnr> Only parts of it right now.
<WalterOS2> Which parts?
<KenKrchnr> Mail list stuff, and forums pages.
<KenKrchnr> Over this week we'll be adding the rest of web pages.
<WalterOS2> OK, great!
<eCSNL> re
<eCSNL> What did I miss
<eCSNL> My connection was toasted again!
<WalterOS2> Well, it's late, and we've completed everything on the agenda that we could.
<eCSNL> Last note I saw
<eCSNL> was "she is out of town"
<eCSNL> Missed anything interesting
<wdl> She still is...
<WalterOS2> Except for the new BOD meetings, nothing too critical.
<WalterOS2> Poor Roderick!
<WalterOS2> Anyone care to move adjournment?
<wdl> I so move.
<WalterOS2> All in favour of adjourning, please type "Aye"
<Gord> Aye
<wdl> Aye
<KenKrchnr> Aye
<APG> Aye
14:18:44 <WalterOS2> Motion is carried. Meeting adjourned.