VOICE - General Meeting for 2003-05-05

<WalterOS2> This Business meeting of VOICE is now in session.
<WalterOS2> Project's probably recuperating from his wilderness trip. He may come later.
<WalterOS2> So we'll skip the Treasurer's Report until later, at least.
<WalterOS2> Before I go on, I'd like to make a request.
<WalterOS2> We have a reasonably full agenda, so I'd greatly appreciate it if everyone would try to reserve their discussion until the designated times.
<WalterOS2> Also, I'd REALLY appreciate it if everyone would keep non-agenda-related discussion to a minimum.
<WalterOS2> When there is a lot of irrelevant discussion going, it makes it really hard on me, and it makes it really hard to get the buiness done by the end of the meeting.
<WalterOS2> We've covered Items 1-2, and postponed 3.
<WalterOS2> So, now it's time to look at Item 4.
<WalterOS2> Nomination the New VP.
<WalterOS2> Sector, did you get any additional nominees for VP in the email?
<Sector> No
<WalterOS2> So we have only the one nominee.
<WalterOS2> Namely, Roderick aka eCSNL.
<WalterOS2> Roderick Klein
<WalterOS2> I forgot his last name for a moment. :-)
<WalterOS2> OK, let's move on to Item 5: Election/Acclamation of the VP
<WalterOS2> When there's only one nominee, it's not our practice to hold an election, but to declare that the nominee has won by acclamation.
<Sector> No, we still need to hold an election, votes can be placed either for or against
<WalterOS2> However, at least one person has indicated he would like to see an election to see if there are any objections.
<Rat-Salad> but, we didn't hold a election for the other possisions
<Rat-Salad> we didn't re-elect Walter
<WalterOS2> Right.
<Sector> We did when Walter was reelected
<WalterOS2> What do the by-laws say?
<Sector> They don't cover only one canidate for the position
<WalterOS2> In that case the chair makes a ruling, and standard parliamentary procedure is that the candidate gets the position by acclamation.
<WalterOS2> However, let me ask if there are any objections to having Roderick as VP.
<WalterOS2> Speak now about Roderick, or forever....
<Rat-Salad> feels good to me
<WalterOS2> Since there are no objections, the chair declares that Roderick has become our new VP by acclamation.
<WalterOS2> Is there any questions or discussion about this issue?
<Rat-Salad> I will update the site to reflect the dission
<WalterOS2> RS: Thanks.
<WalterOS2> OK, moving right long.
<WalterOS2> Item 6: Electronic payment of VOICE membership fees.
<Bandyo> Is it up and running?
<WalterOS2> First let me say that Roderick has been working very long hours because of eCS 1.1, and it's currently 2:40a in Holland where he lives, so I told him to stay home and get some rest. He's even getting worried about his health.
<WalterOS2> :-(
<WalterOS2> However, I spoke by phone with him to day, an the Electronic payment of VOICE membership fees is basically operational.
<WalterOS2> Go to http://shop.mensys.nl/uk/voice/
<WalterOS2> And you'll see the page he's set up for us.
<WalterOS2> Any comments?
<WalterOS2> You can talk now. :-)
<Rat-Salad> looks good
<Bandyo> Looks good! I am trying it out now... The "CHECK OUT using secure server did not work but the non-secure one did...
<Bandyo> Since I am in the US, will I get stuck with the VAT too?
<Warpified> I never had VAT applied to any order I made overseas
<hoss> most likely not. i didn't when i purchased ecs 1.1
<KenKrchnr> Nope. Only EU purchasers.
<Bandyo> Thanks
<WalterOS2> We're looking at the new electronic option for VOICE membership dues.
<Bandyo> I tried "CHECK OUT using secure server" again, this time the page showed up... As a new customer I will need to enter a lot of data...
<Bandyo> but it seems to be working...
<WalterOS2> A couple of other things I should mention, regarding this Mensys page.
<WalterOS2> First, Roderick still needs to write a short script to automatically send an electronic copy of each invoice to Peter as well as to the VOICE member. Right now, I think all you get is the cc transaction.
<WalterOS2> Second, there are no, REPEAT NO, credit card charges for the member when using this!
<Rat-Salad> you mean... international charges?
<Bandyo> No charges!?! I thought it said $25...
<WalterOS2> I'm not sure how to explain it.
<WalterOS2> Mark, what does IB charge for processing our membership transactions?
<KenKrchnr> The $25 is the invoice cost, CC surcharge would not be added (usually 3%)
<Rat-Salad> ohh.. you mean charges to VOICE
<Rat-Salad> I think I understand now
<WalterOS2> Bandyo: The $25 are the membership fees; cc fees are usually over and above that.
<MADecsSMP> I have no idea what costs are. Peter handles that.
<WalterOS2> Sorry--Freudian Slip. :-(
<KenKrchnr> And technically it is illegal in the US to charge extra for using a CC. So instead we use a "cash discount".
<Bandyo> I see thanks Rat-Salad and WalterOS2
<Rat-Salad> when your company or oganization accepts credit cards.. there's typically a fee to that company per transaction.. Walter means this isn't costing VOICE anything
<WalterOS2> Mark: I meant BMT Micro obviously. :-)
<WalterOS2> Thanks, Rat.
<Bandyo> If it saves VOICE money I will put my $25 into the floppy drive :) j/k
<WalterOS2> And of course no VAT for US or Cdn members. That applies only to European Union countries.
<MADecsSMP> Usually with Credit Card processing there is a monthly charge, a per transaction charge and a percentage fee. That's wth a bank anyway. i have no idea how BMT structures it.
<WalterOS2> Thanks, Mark.
<WalterOS2> We're not doing too badly, even without Peter. :-)
<WalterOS2> Hopefully he drop by later.
<MADecsSMP> Any word from Roderick? Will he be here tonight?
<Rat-Salad> I imagine Rodrick is sleeping :)
<WalterOS2> If anyone sees any problems, they should contact Roderick at rwklein@mensys.nl. For those who just dropped by, Roderick is our new Vice President.
<WalterOS2> Mark: He telephoned, and asked me why specifically he needed to be at the meeting, and he passed along the information, and I told him to take the night off.
<WalterOS2> He's been working a lot of extremely late nights because of eCS 1.1,and he actually get a little concerned about his health.
<Jer0> its nice to see so many here tonight
<WalterOS2> Yes :-)
<Rat-Salad> we should probably move on to the next item :)
<WalterOS2> OK, if there's no further discussion about the new web page?
<Rat-Salad> (just a suggestion)
<WalterOS2> Sure.
<WalterOS2> OK, let's go Item 7: Discussion of a new time and date for VOICE meetings.
<WalterOS2> (I dread this topic.)
<WalterOS2> Let me introduce the discussion.
<WalterOS2> It's virtually impossible for Roderick our new VP or for most other Europeans to come regularly when the meeting is held on the current day/time.
<WalterOS2> In Holland, right now it is 3:15 am, Tuesday morning. You can see the problem.
<WalterOS2> Roderick has already done a lot for this organization, so I think he's worth making some concessions for.
<Rat-Salad> it would be nice to have it earlier, yet after rush hour in atleast the EDT time zone :)
<PerJ> "3:00p 19:00 GMT Saturday" sounds great (yawn)
<Rat-Salad> or...... Saturday works.. hehe
<WalterOS2> Someone from Europe emmailed me with that same suggestion. Was it you?
<WalterOS2> :-)
<WalterOS2> We have 3 votes for that time slot (4 if you count mine.)
<Rat-Salad> I'm flexable... thats actually better for me now that I think about it
<WalterOS2> And we haven't even called for a vote, yet. :-)
<WalterOS2> It works out really well for me as well.
<PerJ> Walter: No, I haven't emailed.
<hoss> there was some talk a while back about having one on saturday and one on monday.. ... at seperate times during the month.. I guess 2 mtgs a month is too much...
<PerJ> I'm in UTC +2 DST FYI
<WalterOS2> I know Peter can't make it during the spring and summer due to his camping avocation, but he's not here now, and this is Monday.
<WalterOS2> We just can't please everyone.
<WalterOS2> I can't do it on Sunday aft. due to Warpdoctor. :-(
<WalterOS2> Saturday afternoon (3:00 pm) seems to have the fewest conflicts (and the most votes so far)
<WalterOS2> I wonder where Vaughn has been these days.
<Rat-Salad> thats funny, because he was here right before 8
<JWE0> Ok I vote yes. Sorry, electical storm problems with power outage.
<WalterOS2> Power outage? We haven't even had a flicker here---yet.
<wdl> I vote Yes - Saturday afternoon.
* WalterOS2 and John live about 20 miles apart and the same weather patterns tend to go from one of us to the other.
<WalterOS2> I guess this is what you call a straw vote.
<WalterOS2> OK, let's make it an official vote.
<WalterOS2> Does someone want to move that we change the time and date of the VOICE meeting to Saturday 3:00pm EDT (19:00 GMT)?
<WarpedeCS> Walter I just got in
<WalterOS2> Hi Vaughn we missed you. :-)
<WarpedeCS> My two boys have soccer practise
<WarpedeCS> had
* Jer0 seconds that we all missed Vaughn
<WalterOS2> :-)
<Rat-Salad> I move that we change the general meetings to Saturday 3:00pm EDT (19:00 GMT)
<hoss> i second that
<WalterOS2> Thank you Rat
<WarpedeCS> ok...I might be able to swing that
<Thom> I'll vote for it.


<WarpedeCS> oh no
<WarpedeCS> this is not good
<Jer0> hmmmmm
<KenKrchnr> Looks like a netsplit :)
<WarpedeCS> looks like sectors server went off
<KenKrchnr> I'm on Sectors server, can you see me?
<WarpedeCS> yes
<WarpedeCS> oh then it was RatSalads server
* Jer0 wounders if another round of tornados is in route
<KenKrchnr> Does look like RS is gone.

<WalterOS2> I guess he didn't like the new time. :-)
<WarpedeCS> hey were one big happy family again
<Rat-Salad> I got em back :)
<Jer0> welcome back everyone :)
<KenKrchnr> We wuz feelin' all lost an orphany.
<WarpedeCS> Ok...did we vote for anything yet?
<WalterOS2> OK, we were voting on the motion that we move the VOICE general meetings to Saturday 3:00 EDT (19:00 GMT)
<WarpedeCS> all in favour
<hoss> Aye.
<WarpedeCS> Aye
<Thom> Aye
<JWE0> Yes
<WalterOS2> And so far we had three Aye votes
<WarpedeCS> any against?
<WalterOS2> We also had a write-in. Does that count? :-)
<Jer0> Aye
<WalterOS2> Vaughn: Who made you the chairman?
<WalterOS2> :-)
<Jer0> ;)
<ten> Aye
<WalterOS2> All opposed, please type Nay.
<WalterOS2> The motion is carried.
<WalterOS2> Should we have the next meeting on the 17th or the 24th?
<WalterOS2> Probably the 24th, unless a lot of business crops up in the meantime.
<WalterOS2> ?
<Jer0> the 24th. is Armed Services day
<Jer0> I mean Armed Forces day
<WalterOS2> Is that a problem?
<Rat-Salad> hehe did we not have a meeting on Easter? :)
<WalterOS2> I'm a Canuck.
<Jer0> oh..ya right
<WalterOS2> We're going to hit holidays eventually anyway.
<Jer0> never heard a Canadian refer to themselves as a "Canuck" before
<WarpedeCS> long weekend is comeing too
<WalterOS2> Let's have the next meeting on the 17th, then.
<Jer0> I just say Canadian :)
<WalterOS2> Me too, usually.
<WarpedeCS> 19th is Victoria day...so the saturday I won't be there
<WalterOS2> What else is new? :-)
<WarpedeCS> thanx Walter...
<Rat-Salad> I think I have some work to do
<Rat-Salad> gotta change the calendars
<WalterOS2> Saturday, May 17 3:00 pm EDT (19:00 GMT)
<butch_> Hello, looks like a good turnout
<Rat-Salad> heh
<WarpedeCS> maybe it should be the 31st
<WalterOS2> Now, on to our final item: Status of new mirror and VOICE server.
<WarpedeCS> or I mean the 24th
<WalterOS2> OK, who wants the meeting on the 17th?
<WalterOS2> If so, type Aye
<Rat-Salad> aye
<WarpedeCS> If not the 17th then what about the 24th?
<WalterOS2> Who would rather have it on the 24th? Please type Aye.
<WarpedeCS> aye
<Jer0> aye
<wdl> Aye - 17th.
<WalterOS2> We have a split "vote"
<Jer0> aye-17
<hoss> six to one 1/2 doz the other. ;-)
<WalterOS2> wdl, Jer0: Are you changing your vote, or what?
<Rat-Salad> hehe oops... Jer's was for the 17th
<WalterOS2> Hoss: me too
<wdl> Mine (wdl) is for the 17th!
<Jer0> I meant mine for the 17th
<WalterOS2> OK, the people have spoken: 17th it is.
<hoss> make this complicated: aye forthe 1th nay for the 24 <<<---suggestion.
<Jer0> holidays are usually less busy here :)
<hoss> 1th=17th. ;-)
<Rat-Salad> hehe I think we are done... good suggestion though... lets keep it in mind for next time :)
<hoss> oh well the 17th looks to be a winnah.
<WarpedeCS> Oh well .....
<WalterOS2> Let's move on to Item 8: Status of new Mirror and VOICE server.
* Jer0 is interested in the status of the Mirror and VOICE server.....listening intently
<WalterOS2> Last night at the directors meeting, we decided to build a new (faster, even) VOICE server at Ken Kirchner's Somerville PA facility where he has a T1 connection. We are going to leave our current server where it is at ThinkExtreme, and make it a backup or mirror.
<KenKrchnr> PA = NJ
<WalterOS2> Ken is going to get a new workstation out of the deal. :-)
<WalterOS2> Ken: Sorry about that.
<WalterOS2> Ken has two plants and I find it hard to keep them straight.
<Jer0> tell us a little bit about the new server
<WalterOS2> First, one more thing.
<WalterOS2> Currently, our server (VOICE1) is at TE which is owned by a person/company who is neither OS/2 knowledgeable or a member of VOICE.
<WalterOS2> We may move it physically to Vaughn's location at sometime in the future.
<WalterOS2> Jer0: OK, I'll Ken answer your question.
<WalterOS2> I'll let Ken answer...
<KenKrchnr> The server will be 750 Mhz Athlon, 256MB mem, 16G scsi, 40G IDE, cdrom etc.
<KenKrchnr> I get a new 2100 Athlon ;)
<Jer0> so is the SCSI a RAID containing WSeB
<KenKrchnr> It is raid 5, I use WSA.
<WalterOS2> WSA?
<Jer0> kewl...WSA?
<KenKrchnr> Warp Server Advanced, but on Warp 4.52 base.
<hoss> does this include discussion of dns?
<Jer0> ah...is the hardware setup for SMP?
<KenKrchnr> This hardware isn't. Our other servers are.
<WalterOS2> Jer0: Hoss asked a question I want to answer.
<KenKrchnr> DNS is still up in the air.
<Jer0> I c
<WalterOS2> Hoss: We all want to move the DNS from TE to somewhere else, probably dyndns.org.
<Jer0> what about running a DNS on the VOICE server...seems like it will have the power to
<WalterOS2> However when it came up for discussion last night, it was blocked because noone seconded the motion.
<KenKrchnr> You really need to have 2 DNS's.
<Rat-Salad> Jer0: the idea is having the DNS off-site... in preparition for anything that could happen in the future
<Jer0> then use dyndns.org for backup...or isn't that possible
<Rat-Salad> the dyndns.org custom service would provide us with five servers
<KenKrchnr> Still have to set up an account with them.
<WalterOS2> That's what we couldn't get done last night.
<WalterOS2> Ladies (?) and Gentleman, that's all I have on the agenda.
<KenKrchnr> RS and I had talked with Sector (last week?). He'd go along with DynDNS, but he won't be the one to advocate it. So you need 2 on the board to bring it up.
<Rat-Salad> if the VOICE server moved or was down... all we would have to do is change an A record (host entry).. rather than going through the registrar to change the dns on record for the domains
<WalterOS2> Is there any other business, or should we adjourn the meeting, and leave the clubhouse open for random discussion?
<Jer0> clubhouse :) :)
<WalterOS2> Then we need a motion to adjourn.
<WarpedeCS> motion to adjourn
* Jer0 motions that we adjourn
<WalterOS2> All in favour of adjourning, please type Aye.
<Rat-Salad> ok... we can have the DNS discussion the 17th?
<WarpedeCS> AYE
<Rat-Salad> aye
<WalterOS2> Aye
<Thom> aye
<wdl> Aye
<ten> Aye
<Jer0> Warp Server Advanced....boy thats a nice piece of software
<KenKrchnr> But older than WSeB
<Jer0> sometimes older is better :)
<WalterOS2> Motion is carried. Meeting is adjourned.
<Jer0> newer isn't allways the best...especially if you follow the M$ triology
<WalterOS2> Thank you all for coming. It was a really good meeting.